Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Telangana Sons of the Soil argument explained

I promise I shall keep this post really brief. In many of my previous posts I have lamented the fact that politics have become pragmatic and divested of any moral bases. I have also said that the separate Telangana agitation seems to legitimize the David Easton paradigm of authoritative allocation of resources and proximity to power. Recently I have been talking to some friends about the validity of an argument that says that people from the same country will be called settlers. They have all agreed that this is probably not very right but refuse to budge from the sons of the soil and we shall govern ourselves arguments. I asked them as to who is governing them now and they say it is the Andhra and Rayalaseema people. I asked them what their problem with that is and I was told that they wanted someone from Telangana to govern them. I stretched the logic and asked them if a Prime Minister who is not from Telangana is acceptable and they said that this was another question. When I asked what the difference was, they said if the person is from Telangana they have an access to that person and can 'get things done'for themselves. Classic Easton!!!Most of these are the upper castes who feel dis-empowered by the Coastal Andhra Kammas. These leaders have found a captive audience in the never ever educationally empowered students of various Telangana universities and mainly the Osmania University to lure them with promises of a brave new world that will give them jobs even if they are not educated and give them fat salaries. The hopeless have been shown a totally false hope. If and when the separate Telangana is achieved these unempowered students will see no change in their situation. This is a bit of an interlude. My next post will be about reform of education again. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment