Thursday, August 4, 2011

How much lower can we fall?

This is going to be a very short post.  I even considered not making it, but I feel terrible about what I saw in the newspapers today and I thought I must share my angst about it.  Today's Times of India, Hyderabad Edition, has put a news item where it quoted TRS leader Harish Rao as having exhorted teachers in the Telangana region to tear the part of their text books that contained the poem "Maa Telugu Talliki Malle Puvvu Danda".  It is very bad on Mr. Harish Rao's part for saying such things first of all to teachers and for dragging a celebration of the Telugu language into the dirt and filth of politics.  

India is a country where books are considered to be sacred and no one even touches books with dirty hands, leave alone tear them.  Politicians like the above mentioned show what kind of education they have had with statements and exhortations as the one he made.  Telangana and its people deserve better.  Telugu is not the sole property of the Coastal Andhra people.  In fact, it is said that the Telugu spoken in the Karimnagar district is the best in terms of its accent and usage of words.  Harish Rao and his uncle K. Chandrashekhar Rao hail from that district but the latter uses abusive Telugu and justifies it by saying that Telangana Telugu is like this only.  Nonsense.  We have illiterate people with no values heading various political outfits and these will do more harm than good to the new generation.  Telugu is the language of Telangana as well apart from other languages such as Urdu, Marathi and Kannada.  I hope our politicians do not drag language, literature and culture into the abyss of politics and set a bad example for students. I hope the teachers will not oblige Mr. Harish Rao and tear up books.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure that there are enough textbooks to make much of a bonfire, but the point is well made. My worry is that the voices will get shriller, and this will spin out of control sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My worry too is the same Kumar,and I think the spinning out of control process seems to have begun.

    Satish

    ReplyDelete