Thursday, January 6, 2011

Corrigendum about Sri Krishna Committee report

I have realized that in my enthusiasm I have also behaved like the TV channels. The Home Minister has appeared on TV and said that the Sri Krishna Committee has suggested not five but six options and that previous news reports on TV were not accurate. I cannot fully recollect the six but I will try.

1. Status Quo

2. Separate Rayalseema+Andhra and Telangana. Hyderabad as Union Territory and the two states to develop their own capitals

3. Rayalseema+Telangana and Andhra with Hyderabad as integral part of the former

4. Andhra+Rayalseema, Andhra and an enlarged Hyderabad as Union Territory and acting as common capital.

5. Andhra+Rayalseema and Telangana with Hyderabad as an integral part of Telangana and as its exclusive capital.

6. United Andhra Pradesh with special constitutionally recognized boards for development of the Telangana region.

The Union Home Minister has said that the first three options have been rejected as impractical by the committee itself and that options 4,5 and 6 need to be explored. TV channels claim that the Home Minister has also said that of the three option number six is the most practical and desirable. I hope I have got the options right but there is a very good possibility that I have not, since there is a great deal of confusion. So please read these carefully, as in there could be errors in the information since there is still some confusion. My apologies of the errors of the previous post and for these ones as well. Initial reactions of the Telangana parties as well as self proclaimed intellectuals are on predictable lines. They have rejected the report, ensuring that a prolonged and painful struggle is in the offing. Already I could not get to my work place with riot police not allowing us into the University. Now I don't know when I can get to work, if at all. Good times for politicians and not so good ones for common people, but then that is usually the case, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment