Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Actually quite distressing.

I am not making this a long post.  Even I am tired of going on and on about the same thing, so I will keep it short but unfortunately it cannot be sweet.  A couple of days ago, I was happy to read in the newspapers that the Million March to Hyderabad had been deferred from the original date so as to not disrupt the Intermediate Board Final Examinations.  After a couple of flip flops, I see that the decision has been rescinded and the organisers plan to go ahead as originally planned.  That is distressing.  I still remember the days when I was a student the anxiety that my friends and I went through before and during examinations.  Disruption of examination schedule will lead to extended anxieties among students, not to mention the disturbance to entire households because of that.  The cancellation of several trains yesterday and today and the rescheduling of others owing to the rail roko agitation is sad.  I know people have booked tickets a month and more in advance and they feel let down by the disruption of their travel plans.  When I have spoken about this someone said to me that I was being insensitive to the distress of people who want a separate state.  That is a matter of distress?  I don't know. All I know is that such disruptions of life are not solutions to finding answers to a question which is quite complex. I personally do not believe that inconveniencing ordinary people and students is not a way to find political solutions.  It is even more distressing when an academic of repute leads a movement that wants to disrupt examinations.  The Osmania University has become a farce with neither classes being held nor examinations being conducted.  Apparently things have reached a stage where nothing can be done about those things.  So I guess I will just say let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment